History Behind the Foxford Woollen Mills

Posted by Cliona Conlon on

As we know the Great Hunger of 1845-1849 devastated Irish families. County Mayo in the West of Ireland was hit especially hard. In Foxford, a small village in County Mayo the Convent of the Divine Providence was opened in 1892 by Mother Agnes Morrogh-Bernard on the banks of the River Moy. Mother Agnes Morrogh-Bernard had an economic vision for the small village and opened the Mill in 1892 with a loan from the Congested District Board with provided work for locals.

It wasn’t easy but by the turn of the century, the Mill was a success hiring 220 craftsmen. Education was also growing in the area, but in 1908 the Mill burned to the ground again leaving the locals without work at a time of mass emigration to the US and Canada. The Mill was resurrected and again began production. 

Again in 1987, the Mill ran into rough waters. In Ireland, the textile industry went into financial decline at this time and the Mill went into receivership. With local families livelihood put on the line, the generous local businesses came together to save the Mill. 

It wasn’t long before the Mill was thriving again producing the gorgeous quality throws we know and love. The throws we sell today hold the tradition of craftsmanship and design of old Ireland. Inspired by the landscape of rural Ireland our throws are really something special.

These throws are perfect for any home and make the perfect Irish gift. All Throws are available to purchase through our store online www.simplybirch.com.

Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published.